Ginger is a both a culinary and medicinal spice, known for its ability to soothe the digestive tract and bring a distinct warm touch to any recipe. A member of the Cardamom and Turmeric family, it’s the rhizome, or root, that holds the key to the flavour and benefits of this herbaceous flowering perennial. The plant is native to Southeast Asia, and today India is the largest producer of Ginger in the world. However, its popularity is global, with the spice being in everything from cookies and candies to health elixirs and supplements.
What sets ORGANIC INDIA Ginger Apart?
ORGANIC INDIA takes every avenue to operate in a way that is Beyond Sustainable, for both the planet and the amazing partners we work with. Our Ginger is grown, harvested and prepared in adherence to the following principles and practices:
- Small Family Farmers. Ethical partnerships are the heart and soul of our company. We contract with small, family-owned farms across India and purchase crops at premium market price. Most of our partners have been with us for more than ten years, and each is an integral part of our herbal family. As indispensable members of our team, we provide all of our farmers health insurance and ongoing training by agricultural experts who are at the cutting edge of organic and regenerative farming—a no-brainer for us, but an unfortunately unheard of practice in the industry.
- Regenerative Agriculture. We are deeply rooted in agriculture that is beyond sustainable—it’s regenerative. What this means is our farming practices not only preserve the land, they make it better. Regenerative means replenished soil, improved biodiversity, enhanced water conservation, and increased carbon sequestration. We look beyond our crop to the whole earth and our responsibility to it as a healthy conscious living company.
- Sustainable Production. All of our herbal teas and supplements are produced in our LEED Platinum certified production facility in India, which is a marvel of top-tier sustainable design, construction and operations.
Ginger Benefits for Body and Mind
The bioactive component of Ginger, called “gingerol,” along with its 31 related compounds, is the source of Ginger’s beneficial properties.
- Digestive Support. Ginger supports digestion by helping with the release of excess gas and movement of food through the digestive tract.
- Warming. When added to teas and health elixirs, Ginger has a very warming and comforting effect, bringing a sensation of wellness to the body and mind.
- Antioxidant Action. Ginger contains antioxidants that help detoxify the body, protect against oxidative stress and support a healthy inflammatory response.
- Respiratory Support. Ginger’s ability to support a healthy inflammatory response helps clear the respiratory system of toxins and soothe the lungs.
- Pain Relief. Ginger is found to help soothe minor pain induced by exercise for better recovery, as well as relieve menstrual cramps.
- Cardiovascular Health. Ginger may help protect the heart by supporting healthy blood pressure and relaxing the arteries.
Traditional Uses of Ginger
The ancients loved Ginger for its digestive support — in China and India, poets wrote sutras instructing readers to eat Ginger before every meal. The use of Ginger reaches back 5,000 years in Asia; at some point the spice traveled from India to ancient Rome, where it was beloved as a medicinal and culinary spice, particularly in sweets.
Sometime during the 15th century, Ginger cultivation spread beyond India to Africa, the Caribbean, and Indonesia, giving the Spice Islands their name. In Europe during the Middle Ages, one pound of Ginger was as valuable as a sheep. Ginger is one of three ingredients in the Ayurvedic Trikatu formula, and is one of the most commonly used condiments in the world.
Who is it for?
Ginger is an amazing elixir for anyone looking for digestive comfort and respiratory support. Sipping a ginger tea has an instant warming effect that brings soothing and comfort.
Ginger for Healthy Conscious Living
ORGANIC INDIA’s Ginger is organically grown according to ancient Ayurvedic regenerative cultivation practices to ensure the highest possible efficacy, or “prana.” All ORGANIC INDIA herbs are processed and tested in compliance with FDA and World Health Organization safety protocols.
At ORGANIC INDIA, we recognize the vast interconnectedness of life. From seed, to soil, to field, to factory, our products empower the farmers of India, promote environmental and economic recovery, and provide wellness solutions derived from nature’s intelligence.