For more than 5,000 years, Turmeric has been used in religious ceremonies, as well as for cooking, herbal medicine and cosmetics. There have been more than 7,000 studies examining Turmeric’s medicinal benefits, bringing reinforcement to its many traditional uses in the realm of body-mind wellness. Turmeric is a member of the Ginger family and can be found in several different forms, the most common being a bright yellow powder, which is used in cooking, tea or as an herbal organic supplement.
A staple in Ayurvedic medicine, and possibly the most researched Ayurvedic herb, contains the bioactive compound curcumin. As many studies have shown, Turmeric’s primary actions are in its ability to protect against toxins and support a healthy inflammatory response.
What sets ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric apart?
ORGANIC INDIA takes every avenue to operate in a way that is Beyond Sustainable, for both the planet and the amazing partners we work with. Our Turmeric is grown, harvested and prepared in adherence to the following principles and practices:
- 100% Pure. We source whole organic Turmeric root and grind it in our facility to assure the highest quality and eliminate the risk of adulteration. Your senses can tell the difference with the vivid color and distinct aroma of the herb—the purity and quality is evident. Curious? Feel free to open our easy to pull-apart capsules and see firsthand; as a bonus, stir our fresh turmeric powder into steamed milk of your choice with a touch of honey or agave for a nurturing Golden Latte.
- Small Family Farmers. Ethical partnerships are the heart and soul of our company. We contract with small, family-owned farms across India and purchase crops at premium market price. Most of our partners have been with us for more than ten years, and each is an integral part of our herbal family. As indispensable members of our team, we provide all of our farmers health insurance and ongoing training by agricultural experts who are at the cutting edge of organic and regenerative farming—a no-brainer for us, but an unfortunately unheard of practice in the industry.
- Regenerative Agriculture. We are deeply rooted in agriculture that is beyond sustainable—it’s regenerative. What this means is our farming practices not only preserve the land, they make it better. Regenerative means replenished soil, improved biodiversity, enhanced water conservation, and increased carbon sequestration. We look beyond our crop to the whole earth and our responsibility to it as a healthy conscious living company.
Turmeric Benefits for Body and Mind
Turmeric has historically been used as a traditional medicine, but its efficacy is now recognized by modern science. Many of its medical applications stem from the bioactive compound called curcumin. Here are some of the major benefits of Turmeric:
- Inflammatory Response. Turmeric is most famously known for its ability to support the body in a healthy inflammatory response, which in turn helps protect the body from a range of issues known to arise from inflammation.
- Joint Health. Its ability to support healthy inflammatory responses can help protect joint health.
- Adaptogenic. Turmeric is classified as an adaptogen, which means it helps the body and mind healthily respond and adapt to emotional, physical and environmental stress.
- Protective. Contemporary studies confirm Turmeric’s multiple benefits as an antioxidant, which help protect the cells from free radicals.
- Organ Health. In animal studies, Turmeric has been shown to support the heart, liver and pancreas.
- Mood stabilizer. Another study found that Turmeric as an herbal supplement is “useful against depression.”
Traditional Significance of Turmeric
Turmeric has been long used in Traditional Indian Medicine, Eastern Asian Medical Systems and Traditional Chinese Medicine. It has been a staple in Ayurvedic remedies for thousands of years, and is possibly the most researched Ayurvedic herb in existence. Turmeric was also found in ancient tombs in Israel dating back to the second millennium BC. As many studies have shown, Turmeric’s primary actions are antioxidant and soothing, confirming the frequent Ayurvedic prescription of Turmeric extract for a healthy inflammatory response.
Who is it for?
Turmeric is especially helpful for anyone in need of healthy inflammatory response and joint support. However, anyone can benefit from adding a bit of this medicinal spice to their food, teas and supplements for all around feelings of wellness.