Cool and crisp. Refreshing and light. Cool herbal teas, or iced teas, make the perfect companion to beat the heat in the summertime. Cool teas are simple to make at home and a much healthier alternative to iced teas you’ll commonly find at the supermarket or the convenience shop around the corner.
It is worth noting that Ayurveda, the traditional medicine system of India, recommends against drinking icy drinks, especially at meal times, as this can negatively impact on your digestion. In Summer, cool, but not super icy-cold is great for those very hot days.
Homemade vs Store-bought Iced Tea
It’s an easy mistake we all make. We think that by choosing iced tea we are making the healthy choice, but often ‘grab-and-go’ bottles of iced tea can contain more sugar than a can of soft drink.
Adding lots of sugar to your iced tea, or when it has been added for you, actually undoes the potential health benefits of drinking tea. When you make iced tea yourself, you know exactly what is in it. It’s a win-win for your health and wellbeing.
Tulsi Tea Recipes
During the middle of summer many of us don’t often feel like drinking hot tea. Given we are diehard Tulsi-lovers, committed to being well, we thought we’d share our summer secret: ‘Iced Tulsi’ – to keep you cool during the warm months ahead.
Tulsi – Holy Basil, known as the ‘Queen of Herbs’ in Ayurveda, has been used for thousands of years to promote health throughout the entire body. From supporting a healthy response to stress and boosting immunity, to promoting natural detoxification, increasing energy and restoring balance and harmony in the body…. the endless list of health benefits for Tulsi just goes on and on and on!
No longer do you have to miss out on all these benefits during the hot summer months with these Tulsi tea recipes.
Here are our favourite fresh recipes for cool summer Tulsi teas.
Iced Tulsi Tea: The Basics
First the basics: Iced Tulsi tea. Have you ever made a herbal iced tea that just tasted weak? Follow these recommendations for full flavoured cool tea and maximum enjoyment.
- Place 2 Tulsi tea bags or 2 heaped teaspoons of Tulsi Loose Leaf in your teapot
- Steep in just-boiled water for 5 – 10 minutes or longer for flavor and Tulsi benefits (cover if possible)
- Set tea aside to cool (refrigerate if you like)
- You can try any Tulsi tea blend, although we recommend: Tulsi Sweet Rose, Tulsi Peppermint, Tulsi Hibiscus, Tulsi Green Tea Ashwagandha and Tulsi Licorice Spice
- You might like to garnish with fruit or fresh herbs – sliced citrus and mint leaves make it extra special!
Tulsi Sweet Rose Coconut Refresher
We’re big fans of coconuts – they’re delicious, good for you and have cooling properties. This is a tea recipe you’ll be enjoying all summer and beyond.
- Pour 1 cup of freshly boiled water over 2 bags of Tulsi Sweet Rose
- Steep for 5 – 10 minutes, then refrigerate to cool
- Mix with the water of 1 tender green drinking coconut
- Serve cool and enjoy!
Pomegranate Pear Green Smooth-Tea
If smoothies are your drink of choice during summer, you will definitely need to give this one a go. It’s even got our Whole Husk Psyllium which helps keep your digestive system happy and supports that big ol’ heart you’ve got!
- 1 ½ cups ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Pomegranate Green Tea at room temperature
- 1 pear
- 4 or 5 strawberries
- 1 Tbsp ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
Add all ingredients to your blender. Process until smooth. Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
Tulsi Peppermint Ice Cubes
If you are using a couple of ice cubes to cool down your summer drinks, these little guys are the ultimate cooling refreshment!
- Brew approximately 2 cups of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Peppermint tea to your desired strength
- Let the tea cool to room temperature and pour into ice cube trays
- Add a leaf or two of fresh mint to each ice cube
- Place the trays in your freezer until the tea has hardened
- Add an ice cube to your favourite iced tea recipe, juice or smoothie during hot summer days to keep it cool
Berry Sweet Rose Smooth-Tea
Berry Smoothies are very popular, so we thought there had to be a way to add our beloved Tulsi. We give you the Berry Sweet Rose Smooth-Tea with our organic Moringa Leaf Powder; a naturally complex superfood that is derived from one of the most complete and nutrient-dense plants on earth.
- ½ cup organic coconut milk
- ½ cup ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Sweet Rose tea
- 1 tsp ORGANIC INDIA Moringa Leaf Powder
- ½ cup organic strawberries
- ½ cup organic raspberries
- ½ cup organic cherries (pitted)
Brew the Tulsi Sweet Rose tea in just-boiled water and allow to cool. Refrigerate if you want to speed up the process. Add all the ingredients to your blender. Process until smooth. Pour into your glass and enjoy!
Cherry Lemon Turmeric Zinger
Make the most of cherry season! Cherries are everywhere in summer. Put them to good use by making this delicious and nourishing infused tea blend. Cherries are packed with antioxidants and have a naturally occurring source of melatonin. That means this iced tea will literally help you ‘chill out’! Add that to the stress-reducing properties of Tulsi and you’ll be feeling cool, calm and under control.
- 2 ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger tea bags
- 3 – 4 cups water
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Brew the ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger tea based on the instructions on the box, but with double the tea bags for that extra dash of flavour
- Pour the brewed tea into a bowl
- Add the cherries and ginger
- Feel free to ‘squish’ the cherries to release their delicious juices
- Allow to cool to room temperature
- Add the lemon juice and transfer the liquid to a pitcher
- Allow to site in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours until all the flavours have infused
- Kick back, relax and enjoy!